February 01, 2012

How to run Creatures 2 on Windows 7 & Vista

Creatures 2 is infamous for being the only Creatures game that won't run on any of the new operating systems. This is extremely frustrating for many players, especially me (it was my first Creatures game) but fear not! Here is a fix for the problem, courtesy of  user Deji:
  1. Download a hex editor (I recommend HexDen).
  2. Create a backup of your creatures2.exe file - in case there is a problem editing.
  3. Open creatures2.exe in HexDen.
  4. Press Ctrl+G and type 46760 (with the "hex" radio button selected)
  5. Make sure what follows the editing cursor is 55 - if it isn't, this probably won't work for you.
  6. Change the value (55) to C3.
  7. Press Ctrl+S to save the file.
  8. Run Creatures 2 as normal, through the launcher.exe.
    The only side-effect to this fix is that the hand will flicker as you move it around the world, but it's easy to live with. Hope everyone finds this guide useful!

    1 comment:

    1. I can't wait to try this out when I get the disc! I mean, I haven't played this in YEARS, and it just wouldn't load in Vista for me. Thankyou! (:

      ReplyDelete